Friday, December 26, 2008

The boys were easy to shop for this year. Logan wanted a lot of Scooby Doo movies from Santa and couldn't think of anything else and Dylan asked for Pixos. Neither one needed or expected anything more(although they did announce that next christmas they were going to ask for whatever was on each commercial that came on.) Santa got them each what they had asked for and under the tree, in a big shiny box was the biggest surprise of all.
KITTENS!!
Dylan has been asking for, pleading for, and doing his best to prove that he deserves a cat as long as I can remember him talking. We've been considering it and putting it off. When Coty saw him interacting with a friend's cat in early November, he was sold. Our boys needed a cat. I got online and started to research how to choose a cat. Turns out TWO are better than one! So the hunt was on. I am not a fan of breeding animals when there are so many homeless ones already, so I knew a purebred was probably out of the question and beyond that I was lost. If you don't know the breed, what do you base a decision on?? After counsel from Jenn, I knew what I was looking for and started searching online for babies. There are sooo many. I found a pair of beautiful six month old sisters that had been rescued as infants, bottle fed by their loving human mommy, Diane, and given a comfortable playful home, with kids and dogs too. Diane was kind enough to have them fixed and keep them until after bedtime on Christmas Eve. We set up the master bath as their room(its big!) and they acted right at home immediately.
Christmas morning the boys opened their stockings first while I hid the big box of kitties under the tree. When they came into the room, Dylan noticed the box moving and Logan opened it. Dylan said "Oh Kittens! what should we name them?" There were no shrieks or excited screams, no tears or happy dances. It was as if they had always been here. hmm. After the suggestions "Kitty & Mitty" or "Mickey & Minnie", we settled on "Minnie and Daisy" as their names. cute.
Minnie:

Daisy:

They are such sweet kitties. Daisy has markings a lot like Mia over her eyes, ears and back with White around her neck, shoulders and tummy. Minnie has white down her front and grey from the top of her head and ears all the way down her back. I attached the only pictures I have on the computer. My cable or camera isn't communicating so I have nothing new, but I will when I can get out to get a cd made. Minnie was the friendliest yesterday. She loves attention and showed off her playful cuddly cuteness all day. She seems like a real lap kitty. Daisy was shy early on, mostly hiding from the dog, but warmed up by the end of the day. She is the most playful. She seems like she has spring on her feet! Dylan loves to just sit and pet them both. He will follow one and sit by it and wait for her to crawl in his lap, then just sit and pet her. Logan loves to play with bells and ribbons with them. He's good with the laser light too. I think Minnie suits Dylan best and Daisy goes well with Logan. I can't wait to upload video to share!
The cats and dog are doing surprisingly well together too. Mia likes to get up real close to check them out and get a good sniff, which really made the cats uncomfortable the first day. Dylan learned it was best not to be the one holding the cat when Mia got too close but there was no blood. Today the cats seem more curios about Mia. Daisy especially will get right up next to her to see what she is doing before running off. They all seem interested in each other and the cats are gradually learning that Mia is no threat. I think in a day or two everyone will love each other a lot.
I've never really been a cat person, so the litter box and the climbing all over everything is really new to me, but I think I love them anyway! :) We're having a lot of fun. All of this is new to me so if anyone has suggestions or comments, they are gladly welcome.

No comments: