Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I gotted to ride on the bid dreen bus!

As part of my choice to be a stay at home mom, I have accepted the fact that we will have no extra money. Coty makes enough to pay the bills and my job is to squeeze a little more out of what comes in. I am crafty when I need to be and I can cook pretty well(Coty says I never use enough salt) and I am a serious bargain hunter (if its not at least 75% off I dont need it).
Lately I have been feeling sorry for myself because we only have one car. The kids and I walk to and from Dylan's school everyday regardless of the weather- pouring rain with a three year old is an adventure! The boys and I have walked to the grocery store several times to pick up $20 or so worth of stuff. But for the first time Friday there was somewhere we HAD to go that was out of walking distance. Logan had a Dr appointment and Coty was working at multiple locations and needed the car.
Highland Village/Lewisville has a new bus line that we have seen driving by every day in our area. Logan always waves and says he's going to ride the big green bus when he's bigger. So I decided to look it up. I have always been a bit afraid of public transportation. What if I get on the wrong bus or miss my stop or get mugged or who knows what? It seems scary. But I had to get Logan to his appointment. There is a stop right by the grocery store that is only a five minute walk away and another stop a five minute walk from the doctors office. The route runs every hour on the hour.
We ended up babysitting in the morning and we were able to hitch a ride to the doctor. After our appointment, we walked to the library and checked out a couple of books. It was nice to do something just for fun with my little man. We had just enough time to walk to the bus stop and have a snack picnic before the bus came. When we got on, Logan was smiling ear to ear. He introduced himself and the bus driver recognized him from our walks. "Oh you're the big boy that always waves and says hi in the mornings!" That was nice. The bus was abnormally nice inside. Like a mini charter bus with 16 big padded seats and seat belts. Logan loved looking out the huge windows and I loved having the freedom to get out of the house. It was a fun trip and a liberating experience.
Ever since, Logan has been bragging about how he gotted to ride the dreen bus :) Dylan is jealous and wants to go too. I think I have a new weekly plan to go to the library and have a picnic with little man and we will have to do it on Ds next day off too.

No comments: